South Uist Medical PracticeDaliburghIsle of South Uist, HS8 5SSTel: 01878 700302
Patient Participation Group (PPG)
If you would be interested in finding out more about the PPG, please leave your contact details with one of the receptionists either by phone on 01878 700302, or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you or close relatives / friends are registered with the South Uist Medical Practice, then please let us know by letter of any experience you might have (good or bad) about:
a) Access to local services;
b) Transport cutbacks (especially flights)
c) Range of choices for patients as to where you can go for services.
Anything you share will be treated as confidential and maintained as anonymous.
Feel free to contact us via a private message on our Facebook page, email, post or alternatively, speak with any one of our receptionists.
12th June 2014
An initial ‘familiarisation’ meeting was held in South Uist Medical Practice at 19.30 to set out some key points:
Why have a Patient Participation Group?
· It is Good Practice – approved of by many of the relevant statutory bodies
· I t is a route to identifying, and a voice for expressing, the needs of particular groups
o e.g. Diabetics, Dementia suffers, vulnerable & minority groups
· It is one of several forums in which individual grievances or concerns can be raised
· The health and the wellbeing of the people in South Uist matter. Current levels of care (whether self, social or health) and potential changes in service may not meet expectations. The community must have the opportunity and responsibility to contribute to what happens.
DON’T ASSUME GOOD THINGS
What should a Patient Participation Group be highlighting?
The tendency for us all is to focus on what is not working well but it is still important to safeguard those things that do work well.
It is vital to direct comment, criticism, questions & advice to the appropriate and effective source. This may be:
· The GP
· The surgery team
· The local council
· The Health Board
· (The MP, MSP or MEP)
Decisions need to be made about what the Patient Participation Group sees as priorities:
· There are simple details about daily patient experiences that can be adjusted easily
· There are some much more difficult changes that need to happen:
o What facilities are / can be / should be provided locally?
o What level of services are good & what are not and therefore need a PPG commitment to change?
· In the South Uist surgery
o The patient / public loo needs a mirror, a more adequate sink & tap
o There should be a magazine rack
o The choice of music / radio channel should be led by the patients
· Local facilities
o How do we improve the car parking facilities at the surgery?
o Is there need for & if so how do we achieve better day-care facilities?
· Access to services
o What can and should the PPG be doing about the level of service in the OU&B?
o How can the PPG contribute to improving the patient experience of secondary care services?
How to set Priorities and work effectively towards meeting the PPG goals
As soon as such a list appears then the real tasks of the PPG start to become clear
· What kind of structure should a PPG have?
· How do Priorities get set?
· Who sets the agenda?
· What resources are available to a PPG?
· There are plenty of possible venues for a regular PPG meeting
· There is a National Association / Network of PPGs – the South Uist PPG will not be alone
· Do not ask or expect too much of individuals – everyone can & should do a little
· A Facebook forum may well be an opportunity to keep discussion and momentum going
THE PPG SHOULD BE A VOICE TO ASK THE IMPORTANT QUESTIONS TO THE INFLUENCIAL PEOPLE WHO MAKE THE DECISIONS THAT AFFECT THE PEOPLE OF SOUTH UIST
HOW DO YOU WANT TO EXPRESS YOUR CHOICE?
A follow up meeting to develop an effective Patient Participation Group for South Uist is planned for 19.30 on Tuesday 8th July in Sacred Heart House.
One of the issues raised in our first meeting was the choice of radio station in the waiting room...
Do you have a preference? Contact us so we can see which is the most popular choice.
We currently play Radio2 - would you prefer Radio Nan Gael?
Contact the Patient Group with your feedback, suggestion, comment or question. Please do not use
this form for complaints - these should always be directed to the Practice Manager
Note that by using this form, you will be sending information about yourself across
the Internet. Whilst every effort is made to keep this information secure, you should
be aware that we cannot offer any guarantees of absolute privacy. If this matter
concerns you then you should use another method to notify us of your comment.
Your IP address (188.8.131.52) will be sent
with your communication. In rare cases where abuse or criminal activity can be shown
to have taken place this may be used by the authorities to trace you.
Copyright 2006 - 2017 My Surgery Website | Privacy & Usage | Edit | Staff Home | Site Map | Accessibility | Site T&C's | Service T&C's